The Ministry of Energy and Energy Industries (MEEI) is responsible for the overall management of the oil, gas and minerals sectors in Trinidad and Tobago. These sectors are the largest single contributors to the GDP of the country and the revenues generated provide the resources for the future development objectives of the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago (GORTT).
The MEEI is also responsible for monitoring, controlling and regulating of the energy and mineral sectors of Trinidad and Tobago. Its early years began in 1904 when the Mines Department was established to manage Manjak production. In 1948 the Mines Department was re-designated the Petroleum Department.
In June 1962, the Ministry of Petroleum and Mines was established. Since then there has been nine name changes with corresponding changes in ministerial responsibility. As the energy sector expanded so have the roles and functions of the MEEI.
To be a highly responsive, client-oriented organisation to drive the sustainable development of the energy and mineral sectors.
We provide strategic leadership and effective regulation and management of the energy and mineral sectors to create sustainable value for Trinidad and Tobago.
• Commitment – to create an enabling environment in the energy and mineral sectors.
• Professionalism – strengthening competencies towards creating a team with expertise.
• Integrity – operating based on the tenets of honesty and diplomacy.
• Accountability – functioning within a robust system of checks and balances.
• Transparency – bound by legislation, rules and regulations.
• Service Oriented – striving for excellence in customer service delivery.
• Equity and Equality- ensuring that all services of the MEEI are available and accessible to stakeholders.
Within this context, the following Strategic Goals and Objectives were defined to guide the operations of the organisation for the 2017–2021 period:
• Growth and Sustainability;
• Maximising Our Potential;
• Operational Efficiency;
• Governance Service Excellence; and
• Health, Safety, Security and the Environment.