Functions of The Ministry of Energy and Energy Industries
The Ministry operates a range of activities including:
- Leasing and/or licensing of areas for petroleum exploration and production
- Regulation and management of all oil and gas development activities
- Regulation and management of upstream operations in oil refining activities
- Administration of domestic marketing of petroleum products, natural gas transmission/sales, petrochemical manufacture and other natural gas based industries
- Formulation and implementation of legal instruments for the petroleum industry
- Acquisition, analysis and dissemination of both local and international petroleum information
- Sharing responsibility with the Ministry of Finance for the collection of petroleum revenues accruing to the State
- Representation of the interests of Trinidad and Tobago at international petroleum fora and institutions
- Long term planning, development and implementation of policy initiatives in the petroleum sector.
- Sharing of the management of the State’s interests and assets in the oil and gas industry
- Sharing responsibility for the administration and management of the minerals sector.