The government’s energy policy is to further diversify the energy sector by promoting the establishment of downstream industries that maximise the multiplier effects and value added through the creation of linkages between the Energy Sector and the rest of the economy.
Government’s policy places strong emphasis on broader long term sustainable developmental strategies. In this regard, some of the major imperatives in moving forward include:
- monetization of natural gas resources as a clean hydrocarbon;
- to promote greater demand management and energy efficiency;
- environmental preservation;
- to accelerate the use of renewable energy in Trinidad and Tobago beyond the present marginal applications; and
- development of the energy sector in Tobago, while maintaining environmental integrity and preserving the fragile ecological balance;